Monday, August 4, 2008

Here and Now


Things are growing here, in this small little oasis I call my "backyard." It is amazing all of the life that can accumulate in such a tiny space.
Creepy crawly things, fluttering flying things, squirmy squishy things....buzzing things, humming things, clicking and ticking things. I never appreciate fully the life I have to observe, right in front of my eyes, in my little concrete jungle. But it is there, busy and working the whole day, while I ponder my thoughts and sip my tea in a little nook I have created for myself back here.

I have to admit I get lost back here in this little space, my mind wandering through a maze that has no outlet. Pondering and wondering all of the musings of life, all of the what-ifs, all of the could haves and should haves and didn'ts of the day, week, year, life. But something about this constant growing and life swarming in this little space makes me ponder the now more than the before or the after I seem to always dwell on. I can focus here and sit still here....things I can't seem to do anywhere else. In this age of electronic mayhem while we drown in a sea of off and on buttons and instant, immediate gratification that is constantly evolving and taking new, better-than-ever-before form, some things, like this tomato plant for instance, are completely satisfied with the way things have always been.

I think that this is where I find my peace, in knowing this. I find myself constantly seeking something new, something different, something to remind me that there is something else out there than what is here, that there is something else other than this. But this tomato plant, and these amazing tiny creatures that weave their lives before my eyes, they remain indulgent in a simple world that seems to lack this hyperevolution momentum to disregard the now and embrace only what comes next. They seem to know that their existence can be satisified now, here, and they seem to offer no resistance to accepting this. So I think for now, I will enjoy this little space for what it is, here and now.

1 comment:

ma otter said...

everything that there is , is right there in your little garden, in your loving home...
I have those "I wish...", "I wonder..." "What if..." feelings all the time...we have been conditioned and maybe even born to always want moremore MORE...but what if we already have IT!
such open and honest writing!
...and soon you'll be able the taste the NOW! tomatoes and basil yum...
annie